In today’s article we will talk about how to avoid spam when I browse the Internet by seeing What is spam? Content not requested by a user is known as spam , they usually come in the form of emails. Knowing this we can understand as Spam any message that we do not request.
In today’s article we will see the types of spam that exist, how to avoid spam while browsing the Internet and the consequences that spam brings to a user.
- How to recognize SPAM and what are its characteristics
- Types of SPAM
- Email spam
- Spam by Social Networks
- Internet browsing spam.
- Mobile spam
- Recommendations to avoid spam
How to recognize SPAM and what are its characteristics
Spam usually involves messages coming from unknown accounts that offer products, promotions or simply transmit a particular message. Spam is often benign, but at other times it can be dangerous, seeking victims for possible scams or fraud.
It is easily recognized, remember, it comes from unknown accounts or from users who share it without knowing its background. In turn, promotions are often ‘too good to be true’ . The best thing when receiving an email that looks like Spam is to ignore it.
Types of SPAM
Spam is a practice that all Internet users have suffered. This usually occurs in different Internet environments , each having different objectives, ranging from advertising by a company to fraud attempts that come in the form of emails , some trying to install a virus on our computer through files shared in spam.
It is prudent to know the types of spam that we get on the internet, because it is found everywhere as an annoying matter for every internet user. We will mention and explain each of these types of spam below.
This is the most frequent and most excessive type of spam . It can come in three forms, in high volume emails and emails with advertising content. We will explain each of these below.
- When we talk about high volume emails, we mean these messages sent to a high number of addresses.
- On the other hand, emails with advertising content are usually addressed to a person, offering offers and other commercial information.
Spam by Social Networks
Another type of spam that we can find on the internet is in one of the most determining spaces in the digital world, being Social Networks . Some companies with a weak marketing strategy tend to send spam to all users who may be potential buyers, but resulting in bad publicity for it.
In turn, spam on social networks can come from suspicious users. By suspicious users we mean fake profiles that are created in order to give a promotion to scam anyone who accepts.
Internet browsing spam.
Finally, we have the spam that is developed by browsing the internet. This type of spam makes our searches difficult in any browser . It is applied thanks to the analysis of online positioning by certain pages, doing everything possible to appear among the first options of our search.
This would not be a problem if the page meets what we are looking for, however, some make use of eye-catching titles to later deal with totally different topics .
It is not as common as it used to be, but spam via SMS messaging still exists. Most of the time it is used to attract people to offers or promotions. In any case, it is also a source of scams , so you must be very careful.
Recommendations to avoid spam
Having seen the different spaces where we receive spam, we will give some tips to avoid spam when we are using the internet . Definitively eliminating spam is almost impossible, thanks to the fact that different accounts are usually used that we do not even know we have to block, but certain aspects that are used to spam emails we can avoid them.
- Seeing that certain email addresses are constantly spamming us, we must identify them and then block their emails and mark them as spam. In this way we will be discarding these addresses, making less and less spam that we receive. Email services like Gmail implement these anti-spam measures.
- Many social networks give options to maintain a profile with restrictions, an example is Instagram having a private profile . Thanks to this private profile, not any user can send us messagesand if they do, they will not be notified as directly as if they would make it public.
- We have to avoid accepting any conditions on the internet, because sometimes we do not read terms and conditions, accepting that some websites send us emails repeatedly. This would not be counted as spam because we allow it, however, we do not want to receive any mass mail from a page that we saw one day on the internet.
We hope these tips are useful to you, by applying them we will be reducing the amount of spam considerably , saving wasted time, giving a better order and peace of mind in our inbox, and preventing us from being distracted from any activity that we are doing at that time.